Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Anna Favaroso



My maternal grandmother, Anna Favaroso Genova, was born in Castlevetrano, Sicily.  She was married to John Genova.  They had three children, Cosimo (Gus) and Anthony (Tony) who were also born in Castlevetrano, Italy, which is in Sicily, and my mother Lena, who was born in Kansas City, Missouri on January 19, 1905.   One story of my mother's birth, of which there were many, was that the midwife was drunk and may not have reported the correct name or birth date. Another story I heard while hiding under the kitchen table as my aunts told stories was: After my grandfather came to America, his concubine tried to gain passage on a ship as his wife.  She was caught and my grandmother, who was pregnant with my mother, was allowed passage to America.  All of my grandparents and uncles can be found on the registers from Ellis Island except Anna Favaroso Genova. 

No comments:

Post a Comment